Supersport United became the second South African club to book their place at the group stage of the Total Confederation Cup after trouncing Barrack Young Controllers 5-0 at the Lucas Moripe Stadium in Pretoria to advance 6-1 on aggregate.

A hat trick by Jeremy Brockie and a goal apiece by Thabo Mnyamane and Fagrie Lakay put the Liberians to the sword in the return leg of the 2nd 1/16th round second leg.

Stuart Baxter’s troops had to redeem themselves after suffering defeat by the very same margin thanks to their cross-town rivals Mamelodi Sundowns in a league encounter just two days ago.

And they wasted no time in getting off their starting blocks with a goal by inform midfielder Mnyamane in the 3rd minute following an accurate cross by South African youth international, Teboho Mokoena.

With United grabbing the opener, Controllers’ game plan went into complete disarray as they did very little to threaten their opponents.

Young left back, Aubrey Modiba almost got his second goal of the competition after a good delivery from Mnyamane but saw his well taken header go inches wide of the goal in the 18th minute.

Mnyamane was back in the picture again, this time slicing through the visitor’s defence to lay a pass for New Zealand striker Brockie who easily slotted the ball home to grab his side’s second of the night in the 32nd minute.

With the score at 2-0 at the break, Controllers came back into the second stanza looking a bit more determined and holding shape. However, Brockie and Mnyamane had other ideas on the night as a good interchange of passes between the two resulted in the former getting his brace in the 54th minute.

United keeper Ronwen Williams had an off day on the night with most of Controllers’ efforts being fired well off target.

The visitors were punished for careless defending in the box after an unnecessary foul on Modiba resulted in Brockie stepping up to register his hat-trick to make it 4-0 to the Pretoria side.

After a solid performance, Brockie was given a break in the place of young striker Lakay who wasted no time in picking up from where his teammate left off as he found the back of the net in less than a minute being on the field to hammer the final nail in Controllers” coffin.

Source: Confederation Africaine de Football

Related posts