Cameroon Repels Boko Haram Attack on Border Post

Related Articles

YAOUNDE — Cameroon says Boko Haram fighters attacked a command post on its northern border with Nigeria. The attack followed a series of targeted military operations in the area that the government says destroyed at least 10 bomb-making laboratories.

Cameroon government spokesman Issa Tchiroma Bakary says more than 100 suspected Boko Haram fighters attacked the Homeka border village command post of the multinational joint task force Monday.

He told VOA the insurgents ransacked several villages after they were pushed back by the military. He said one soldier was wounded.

He says the attack on the command post is an indication that even though the enemy is in agony, it is still capable of incessantly creating trouble. He says he wants to inform them that the military will continue to defend the country’s territorial integrity.

Cameroon is one of five countries contributing to the multinational joint task force.

Cameroon sent more soldiers to the far northern border area last week after two suicide bombings in the town of Limani killed 13 people.

Tchiroma says troops have since raided eight villages on both sides of the border, killing and arresting large numbers of militants and freeing captives. He says at least 10 laboratories for the manufacture of explosive devices were destroyed.

“Arrow’ offensive

He says some fighters have managed to escape. He says they believe the ongoing Nigerian and Cameroonian offensive called “Arrow” has pushed Boko Haram toward Nigeria’s northern border with Niger.

Landmines and suicide bombings have been a top challenge in northern Cameroon.

Cameroon sealed trouble spots along its border with Nigeria and prohibited gatherings outside mosques during Ramadan to try to mitigate the threat.

VOA

Read More

The Financial Investigation Agency is tracking FCfa 128 billion following 500 reports of suspicion

Related Articles

The National Financial Investigation Agency (ANIF), the enforcer in the fight against money laundering and terrorism financing in Cameroon, received over 500 reports of suspicion in 2014, the pro-government daily revealed, citing a report from the institution.

These 500 reports of suspicion (against 250 in 2013), which have already helped build 60 cases transmitted to the Cameroonian justice system, we learn, concern a total of FCfa 128 billion, on which ANIF is hoping to trace.

According to the texts regulating its operation, ANIF benefits from the collaboration of banks, microfinance establishments, insurance companies and other liable institutions.

According to the regulation, these structures must transmit to the State’s financial intelligence unit, reports of suspicion in cases of transactions made by their clients and concerning well defined amounts. All of which enables ANIF to initiate investigations.

Money laundering being done increasingly through investments in sectors such as real estate, we learn, ANIF has added hardware stores to the list of structures and other institutions under the obligation of transmitting reports of suspicion.

Business in Cameroon

Read More

MTN Cameroon switches off unregistered users

Related Articles

MTN has suspended unregistered subscribers using its mobile network in Cameroon, a month after it agreed to pay a $1.7 billion fine in Nigeria over a similar issue.

The move comes after the operator held a national identification campaign between 11 April and 30 June this year, in an effort to comply with a governmental decree set last September.

The decree requires identification modalities for subscribers and terminal equipment for electronic mobile networks, and according to reports, those that did not comply during the period, or confirm their identification, have now been suspended.

To regain access, MTN Cameroon will allow subscribers to complete the process via MTN service centres across the country, in special identification centres, or at sales points of MTN’s distribution partners across all regions.

If this is done, the suspension will be lifted within 24 hours, and if not, the non-compliant number will be lost after a certain timeframe.

MTN Cameroon CEO Philisiwe Sibiya said the company is “leaving no stone unturned” as it attempts to fully comply with subscriber identification regulations.

“MTN is a responsible corporate citizen conscious of the risks associated with unregistered SIMs, especially at this time of heightened insecurity,” she said. “Subscriber identification is a permanent task and every MTN customer is important to us.”

After failing to unregister personal details of some 5.1 million subscribers last year, Nigerian regulators ordered the company to pay an initial $5.2 billion in fines.

It finally reached a settlement over the issue last month, settling on a reduced $1.7 billion hit.

Earlier this year, MTN Cameroon also came under fire by the country’s regulators for corruption related actions, which it strongly denied.

Mobile World Live

Read More

The Cameroonian football federation suspends fourteen players guilty of age-cheating

Related Articles

Fourteen Cameroonian players have been found guilty of age-fraud and subsequently suspended by their federation according to reports coming out of Cameroon today.

The Fédération Camerounaise de Football uncovered that players had been lying about their age in an effort to play at the under-17 Africa Cup of Nations in Madagascar next year.

Age cheating is commonplace among African nations where it is often difficult to verify a player’s age, but the introduction of MRI testing has curtailed much of the dishonesty that has taken place in the past.

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) gives examiners information about the structures of the body and was implemented by FIFA prior to the under-17 World Cup in 2009.

A total of 40 young players were subject to MRI testing on June 30 and July 1 in Yaounde with more than a third discovered to have been age-cheating.

“Fourteen players have just been found to be adjusting their ages by an MRI test,” reported Cameroon Radio television (CRTV).

Cameroon has a well documented history of age-cheating with former international Tobie Mimboe having used a number of different documents over the course of his career.

KickOff.com

Read More

New Liverpool signing poses in Reds kit after completing transfer [+video]

Related Articles

Joel Matip is all smiles after officially completing his transfer to Liverpool this month

Joel Matip looked to be a happy man as he posed for a picture in a Liverpool shirt after completing his transfer to the Merseyside club.

The defender officially became a Liverpool player on Friday after the Reds had agreed a deal to sign the Schalke defender back in January when his contract expired.

Matip is Jurgen Klopp’s fourth new arrival at the Merseyside club this summer following the signings of Loris Karius, Sadio Mane and Marko Grujic.

And the defender looked to be happy to have completed his move to Liverpool as he posed for a picture at the Reds’ Melwood training base on Saturday, as the first set of players reported for pre-season training.

Liverpool posted the picture above on their official Instagram account on Saturday afternoon, along with the caption: “Joel Matip: “It’s a great pleasure and honour to be a part of this big club.”

Cameroon international Matip – who scored three goals and made three assists in 34 Bundesliga appearances for Schalke last season – will wear the number 32 shirt at Liverpool.

Klopp is preparing for his first full season in charge at Liverpool after his appointment as Brendan Rodgers’ successor back in October.

The Sport Review

Read More

Jean Claude Ngbwa takes over control of the regulatory body of the Cameroonian financial market

Related Articles

A presidential decree signed on 29th June 2016 appointed Jean Claude Ngbwa (photo) to the position of President of the Financial Market Commission (CMF), the regulator of the Douala Stock Exchange (DSX), the stock market in Cameroon. He replaces Théodore Edjangué, who occupied this function for more than 10 years.

Jean Claude Ngbwa
Jean Claude Ngbwa

The newly appointed president has barely returned to Cameroon, after spending about ten years at the Interafrican Conference of Insurance Markets (CIMA), the policing agency for insurances in central and western Africa whose headquarters are in Libreville, Gabon. Jean Claude Ngbwa was the General Secretary of this regulatory agency until 2015.

Mr Ngbwa becomes president of CMF at a time when the debate on the untimely competition between the two stock markets in the Comic area (Bvmac and DSX) is coming back to the fore. For years now, calls to link up or even merge the two markets and their respective regulators (Cosumaf and CMF) have been made. But these calls have always met the reluctance of the public authorities, and mainly that of the now former president of CMF, Théodore Edjangué, who turned out to be a fervent defender of the Independence of the Cameroonian financial market.

However, before approaching this question on the relationship between BVMAC and DSX, Jean Claude Ngbwa should, in the short term, manage the case on the arrival of new intermediaries on the Douala stock market. Indeed, before his appointment, the Cameroonian government sent a bill on for approval by the Parliament, undertakings for collective investments in transferable securities (UCITS). A new feature that the financial market regulator will have to implement in the coming weeks.

Business in Cameroon

Read More

Fight Against Terrorism: United States Promises More Support

Related Articles

The U. S Ambassador was yesterday, June 30 received in audience at the State House by President Biya.

Cooperation between Cameroon and the United States was again balanced on the scale yesterday, June 30, during a one-hour audience; the Head of State President Paul Biya accorded the U.S Ambassador, Michael Hoza. The meeting which stretched from 12 noon to 1pm was occasion for President Biya and Michael Hoza to renew the commitment of the two countries to fight terrorism in the Far North Region and to take the fight right to the end.

“As I have said before, Boko Haram is more dangerous than ever. We have had some success but the fight continues”, Hoza told pressmen after the audience. The United States which has so far supported Cameroon as well as the establishment of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) and which is actively partnering with the MNJTF signatory countries (Cameroon, Chad, Niger, Nigeria, and Benin) in their counter Boko Haram efforts by providing advisors, intelligence, training, logistical support and equipment is visibly determined to provide additional support in the same vein. “We spoke about expanding cooperation between our two countries notably security services and also additional support for the Cameroon military in terms of equipment and training, the details of which will become evident in future”, Michael Hoza said.

Cameroon it should be recalled has been quite appreciative of the support the United States has been sending in to help in the fight against the terrorist group. Memories are still fresh on the 300 American troops sent to Cameroon along with surveillance drones to bolster effort to counter the insurgents. The troops have been assigned by the American government to conduct airborne intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance operations in the areas targeted by Boko Haram. In spite of the positive results registered so far, the U.S government wants to go the extra mile to ensure that the war is fully won. Without giving further details, the American diplomat sounded assuring in the following conclusive words, “rest assured that our cooperation is growing.”

Cameroon Tribune

Read More

Patrick Ekeng: Doctor charged with manslaughter of Cameroon international

Related Articles

The Romanian public prosecutor has charged emergency doctor Elena Duta with the manslaughter of former Cameroon midfielder Patrick Ekeng.

Ekeng, 26, collapsed during a league match for Dinamo Bucharest in May and died of heart failure.

The prosecutor said Duta, the emergency medical specialist in the ambulance which took Ekeng to hospital, made no attempt to resuscitate the player.

Hospital staff were unable to resuscitate him on his arrival.

An autopsy showed the player was suffering from multiple serious heart problems, but the Bucharest prosecutor said: “Even if among Patrick Ekeng’s causes of death were the cardiac problems he suffered from, by her unjustified inaction Elena Duta removed any chance of survival.

“She did not evaluate the footballer’s state of health and made no attempt at resuscitation.”

The prosecutor’s office quoted forensic scientists as saying 95% of people with similar heart problems survive cardiac arrest if defibrillation is administered within 60 seconds.

“The chances of survival drop by 5.5% with every minute,” prosecutors said.

Ekeng fell to the floor in the 70th minute of a televised Romanian league match between Dinamo and Viitorul.

He was pronounced dead in hospital two hours later.

BBC

Read More