Kariobangi Sharks beat Gor to Kenya’s Super Cup

Domestic Cup champions Kariobangi Sharks stunned Kenyan Premier League holders Gor Mahia 1-0 to clinch the season opening Super Cup at the Moi Sports Centre in Kasarani on Sunday. Sidney Lokale came off the bench to score the winner seven minutes after the break to hand Sharks a massive boost of confidence ahead of the new season.

Gor Mahia’s new coach Hassan Oktay watched from the stands with Zedekiah Otieno still holding forte on the stands, This match was a perfect warm up for the two sides ahead of the vital midweek’ CAF assignments .

Sharks’ boss William Muluya was the happier of the two coaches and he was pleased with the determination shown by his charges.

We played really well and this is a win that motivates us so much for the new season. We worked hard for it and I had the chance to use a few different players to see them in such a tough game and I am glad with how they performed, Muluya said.

Gor’s Zedekiah Otieno took the defeat positively, saying they now know what to work on ahead of their trip to Malawi where they take on Nyasa Big Bullets in the Champions League on Wednesday.

We played well and dominated the game but couldn’t finish our chances. This is something that we really have to work on and ensure we improve, Otieno noted.

Gor had the lion’s share of chances and should only blame themselves for failing to pick victory.

Francis Mustafa had the first chance after six minutes when he was sent through on goal by George Odhiambo, but he took a heavy first touch and his eventual shot at goal was wide.

The Burundian had another chance in the 14th minute when he took advantage of a short back pass from defender Tom Teka back to his keeper, but his effort went inches off target.

Gor continued to dominate, creating chances but they still couldn’t finish. In the 38th minute, Odhiambo was teed up by Bernard Ondiek from good shooting range, but he placed his shot wide/

Sharks boss William Muluya made an early change, pulling out Fidel Origa for would-be match winner Lokale with three minutes left to the break. Sharks could have gone to the breather one up when George Abege was sent through on goal, but his effort was pale and saved by keeper Boniface Oluoch.

At the start of the second half, Gor made attacking changes, Nicholas Kipkurui and Ephraim Guikan coming in for Ondiek and Mustafa.

But, it was the domestic cup winners who would break the deadlock and do so in superb fashion, Lokale dusting away Ernest Wendo and Joah Onyango before placing a left footed shot to the far post.

Immediately after going behind, Gor almost got back into the game when Guikan forced Sharks keeper Brian Bwire to a brilliant save parrying the ball away after he had glanced a header off Onyango’s overhead kick from the edge of the area.

On the other end after an hour, Harrison Mwendwa should have buried the game for Sharks when he was sent through on goal by Abege, but his eventual shot went wide.

Bwire in Sharks’ goal was called into another beautiful save on the 65th minute when he dived full stretch to his left to parry away a stinging shot from Guikan as Gor rallied to get a goal back.

With the clock ticking, Gor brought in Erisa Ssekisambu for defender Philemon Otieno. The Ugandan should have created Gor’s equalizer in added time when Bwire’s punch from a cross fell on his arms, but his pass to Boniface Omondi at the edge of the six yard box was wayward with a gaping goalmouth.

Source: Confederation Africaine de Football

Related posts