Francis Kahata and Jacques Tuyisenge scored in the final six minutes to aid Kenya’s Gor Mahia to a 2-0 win over Nasr Hussein Dey of Algeria in their Group D Day Three clash on Sunday in Nairobi.

The game looked to be heading for a barren draw after Hussein had frustrated the hosts, but Gor ensured they ran all the way to the line to move to six points after three games.

I told my players that we should not stop running until the final minute and that the goal was going to come. We never gave up, we fought hard and we got the result. I am very happy especially because we ensured that we did not drop any points at home, Gor Mahia tactician Hassan Oktay said.

His opposite number Meziane Ighil was disappointed especially after he was forced into two substitutions in the first half due to injury.

We knew that it was going to be a very tough game before we came here. Everything was made hard when two of our players had to go out injured and we had to change plans, a disappointed Ighil stated after the game.

Hussein had to make two changes, Ahmed Gasmi and Hocine El Orfi coming off within the first half and replaced by Abderouf Chouiter and Hocine Laribi respectively.

The visitors had to finish the game with 10-men after Chems Edine Harrag was sent off following a second yellow card for dissent just after his side conceded the first goal.

Gor were looking to continue with their good home form in continental football and started well with Samuel Onyango providing a second minute opportunity with a half volley that went just wide.

The visitors came close in the 10th minute when Faouzi Yaya chipped the ball behind the Gor defense but Ouallid Allati’s effort at lobbing the ball over keeper Boniface Oluoch went wide.

Two minutes on the turn, Gor had a brilliant chance to break the deadlock when Nicholas Kipkurui stole the ball off a Hussein Dey defender before squaring to Tuyisenge whose shot on the weaker left foot was saved by the keeper.

The homers continued to pile pressure on the visitors, forcing them to play on the back foot, but they couldn’t get the final quality ball to break the deadlock.

At the stroke of half time, Hussein Dey had their first effort at goal when Elyes Yaiche broke into the box, but his shot after being pushed out wide was an easy catch for Oluoch in Gor’s goal.

The home side, knowing how important three points are to their quarter final hopes piled pressure in the second half. They were rewarded in the 83rd minute when Kahata picked up a square cross from Shafik Batambuze before slamming it home.

Four minutes later, Tuyisenge made it 2-0 when he slammed home past the keeper after racing to a through past, the Hussein Dey defense caught napping.

Source: Confederation Africaine de Football

Related posts