TVU Networks to Make Available Hundreds of Its TVU One and TVUPack Mobile Transmitters for the Upcoming Presidential Re-election Vote in Kenya

MOUNTAIN VIEW, California, Sept. 11, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — TVU Networks, the global technology and innovation leader in live IP video solutions, announced today that it will provide comprehensive support to all media organizations in covering the upcoming Kenya presidential re-election vote. TVU will make hundreds of its award-winning TVU mobile uplink units, including TVU One, and […]

Read More

News in Brief 11 September 2017 (PM)

Myanmar violence “putting all civilians at risk”

Violence in the northern part of Rakhine State in Myanmar which has driven more than 300,000 mainly Muslim Rohingya across the border with Bangladesh, is “putting all civilians at risk” said the UN on Monday.

Humanitarian activities in Rakhine have been either suspended or severely interrupted, resulting in 170,000 people missing out on food supplies and 15,000 going without primary healthcare.

The violence began at the end of August with alleged Rohingya militants targeting government security forces, but news reports and eyewitness accounts indicate many have died in reprisals attacks with villages burned to the ground.

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said that the government backlash may amount to “textbook ethnic cleansing”.

More from UN Spokesperson, Stephane Dujarric.

“The UN and its partners are helping the Government and the local community respond to the situation by providing food, shelter, health care and water, among other means of support. The UN and the Government are also urgently looking at solutions to allocate land to accommodate the new arrivals. The scale and speed of the influx of people from Myanmar has overwhelmed capacity on the ground and additional resources are needed. Aid agencies have prepared a preliminary response plan of $77 million to deliver urgent, life-saving assistance to over 300,000 new arrivals.”

Arms deal “needs universal support” to halt damaging illicit trade

The illegal arms trade has a hugely damaging impact across the world, but a new international treaty could limit that, through greater transparency.

That’s the consensus among Member States taking part in a high-level conference on the issue at the UN in Geneva.

To date, 92 states are party to the Arms Trade Treaty, which came into force less than three years ago.

It covers all conventional arms transactions, from aircraft carriers to small weapons.

Ambassador Klaus Korhonen of Finland is President of the Third Conference of States Parties of the Arms Trade Treaty (CSP3 of the ATT).

He said that the treaty had been a success so far, but needed universal support.

“We have a constant dialogue also with the biggest exportersthe United States, the Russian Federation and China. What I might add is that many of the big countries outside this treaty, their domestic arms transfer control is fully compatible with this treaty but we would like to have them in this treaty so that we can all together and agree on common norms.”

The push for universal coverage was echoed by Peter Maurer, President of UN-partner the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).

He warned that arms transfers “are at their highest levels” since the end of the Cold War � and that they continue to feed terrorists and conflicts in the Middle East, Africa and Asia, as well as organised crime in the Americas.

UN relief efforts continue in Hurricane Irma-affected countries

The UN Development Programme (UNDP) and its country offices in the Caribbean have developed a rapid response plan to help millions affected by powerful Hurricane Irma.

The so-called Regional Recovery Strategy includes debris and trash removal; immediate short-term job opportunities; the restoration of damaged infrastructure and local business aid.

UN Spokesperson Stephane Dujarric again.

“The temporary training and employment for affected women and men aims to quickly inject cash in affected communities, tools, equipment, technical capacity of professionals such as engineers and architects. The strategy also entails training and support to community-based micro and small businesses to help resume economic activities.”

Mr Dujarric added that UNDP had deployed crisis recovery experts to the region, ready to provide immediate assistance.

Other humanitarian workers have been deployed to the hard-hit island of Turks and Caicos, as well as Antigua and Barbuda.

Meanwhile, the UN Children’s Fund, UNICEF, is trying to get 3 million chlorine tablets to support water purification efforts in Cuba, which is suffering from record flooding after its northern coast was lashed by Category 5 winds.

Source: United Nations Radio

Read More

‘War is Being Won,’ Says Head of Regional Force Battling Boko Haram

BUDUA, CAMEROON � The head of the multinational task force fighting Boko Haram says the war against the militants is being won, but warned that suicide bombings remain a threat, killing close to 400 people in Nigeria and Cameroon since April.

Soldiers from the 7,800-person task force have been stationed in several towns and villages along the Nigeria-Cameroon border since those communities were liberated from Boko Haram a little over a year ago.

The force’s commander, Nigerian-born General Lucky Irabor, visited four communities along the border on Saturday to reassure local residents and rally the troops.

“Boko Haram and other criminal gangs, their end has come. Boko Haram is on the downward trend,” Irabor told the soldiers. “That alone should motivate you to know that the war is being won, and for you to give in the last of your energy and your commitment so that they would be completely defeated.”

Irabor ordered the soldiers to focus on stopping suicide bombers, and to work more closely with local self-defense groups. He urged civilians to report anything or anyone suspicious.

The Boko Haram conflict has displaced over two million people in four countries, but the governments of Nigeria and Cameroon are urging people to go home.

Irabor said the soldiers’ presence in villages will keep Boko Haram from taking them back.

However, security is not the only challenge the returnees face.

Aboubakar Bouba, an elder of Budua village on Cameroon’s northern border with Nigeria, returned home in August. He fled Budua after a Boko Haram attack in 2014.

The 75-year-old says the loud sounds of bombs that destroyed their village mosque, killing several people including their imam, also ruptured his eardrums.

A soldier asked Bouba how life has been in his village since he returned. Bouba said he is poor and lives on food aid from well-wishers and neighbors. He says he hasn’t seen his children since 2014, when they also fled.

The village, once home to 200 people, is now inhabited by approximately 70. The residents say they are hungry, but the fighting has devastated farmland, leaving farmers unable to cultivate crops or take care of livestock.

Cameroon’s government has announced plans to provide seeds to farmers and financial aid to unemployed youths to start small businesses, but the people of the village say they are still waiting.

Source: Voice of America

Read More