Yaounde-Nsimalen Expressway – Clearing Resumes in Mfoundi Section

The Mfoundi Senior Divisional Officer, Jean Claude Tsila, was in Toutouli on Friday February 6, 2015, where he held a working session with the villagers of Abomey, Ahala, Meyo and Toutouli, all in the Yaounde IV Subdivision in the Mfoundi Division of the Centre Region. He instructed the population to abide by the rules, emphasizing that work on the Yaounde-Nsimalen Double Carriage Road had not begun, but that bulldozers were sent to begin clearing the site for proper evaluation work, not construction per se. It emerged from the discussions that construction had to resume after last week’s sit-in that interrupted construction.

In effect, families to be affected by the road construction of the project say they are not against development. Where a road passes, development follows to the interest of local people, stressed a Toutouli villager, Mr. Yene to Cameroon Tribune on January 4, 2015. Yene fumed at the fact that in spite of the Head of State’s green light, the management team of the project was not respecting the terms of the deal. He, like many others, say they are willing to respect the terms of references with government with regards to the Yaounde-Nsimalen Double-Carriage Road project.

The families concerned affected by the giant infrastructural in the Mfoundi Division have expressed dissatisfaction with the unfolding of events. It all started on January 2, 2015, when bulldozers entered the Toutouli forest. This, to the population, was a joke in bad taste. The news went like wildfire and on January 3, 2015, residents of Aboume, Meyo, Minka and Toutouli, gathered at the construction site with placards saying, “No to the continuation of work except compensation is paid.” Yene said work was forced to stop but reiterated that their demonstration was peaceful. The Second Deputy Divisional Officer for Mfoundi Division is reported to have held talks with the angry population, reiterating that work had not started and that bulldozers were only opening up tracks for evaluation.

“We are faced with a problem of misunderstanding and lack of trust vis-a-vis government,” His Majesty, Anicet Owoundi, Third Class Chief of the Toutouli clan, told Cameroon Tribune. He explained that their grievances ranged from the non-settlement of compensation to the non-identification of a relocation site for the affected families of the Mfoundi Division unlike their peers of Mefou and Akono and Mefou and Afamba Divisions.

Another bone of contention between the affected families and government is the additional 100 metres of land needed for the highway. His Majesty Owoundi explained that the land allocated at the beginning was 100 metres (that is 5050 per width), but as things unfolded, the terms changed with an additional 100 metres (still 5050 per width) required. “What pains us most is the fact that the first calculation of 100 metres has not been paid for, lamented some disgruntled villagers gathered at the Chief’s palace on the night of January 4, 2015. Owoundi said they later received instructions that all double carriage roads must be 200 metres in width.

Source : Cameroon Tribune

Related posts